Updated: Jul 18, 2021
Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made....If you want a different result, make a different choice ~ Author Unknown ~
I love love love Oracle Cards, and since buying my first Deck, they have become a part of my life on almost a daily basis. There are so many beautiful card decks available, and like crystals, it really is very easy to start with one and end up with a shelf full. Oracle Cards are similar to Tarot Cards in that they are divination tools. Oracle Cards can be traced back to the 19th Century in France and unlike Tarot Cards, do not follow any particular suit, and do not include Major and Minor Arcana Cards. Card sizes and numbers of cards do vary in Oracle Decks, but generally there are 44 cards, and they may have just an image, a number and an image, or a description of the card meaning aswell. Oracle cards come in a wide variety of styles and themes, and the deck that is right for you is the one that you feel most drawn to. Whether you are buying them in person or online, feel the deck that calls to you and that is the right one for you to purchase. Second Hand Oracle Decks are also fine as long as you cleanse them properly before you use them. (See Below) As everything is energy, it is very important that you are not using cards that have energy from others still attached to them.
Cleansing your oracle cards
Once you have chosen your Oracle Cards, you will need to cleanse them. There are a number of ways you can do this, and your intention is the most important part here. (You would already have grounded & protected at this point). Firstly, take them out of their packaging, and using a Sage Smudge Stick, hold the deck in your hand and allow the sage smoke to cleanse them thoroughly. Ask that the cards be cleared & cleansed of any low vibrational energies and for them to be sent away with love. What you send out, comes back to you so always send anything away from you with love. I then hold the deck with my left hand to my heart and ask for these cards to work with me for the highest and greatest good of all who receive a reading. You can also do a prayer at this point if you wish. You may also like to charge them under the Full Moon as long as it's not going to rain. The next step is to say thank you and to go through the deck making sure to touch each card so that you place your energy into them. Once you have completed these steps, you are ready to use the cards.
One Card Reading
* Ground yourself and place yourself in a bubble of protective light
* Ask your guides to come forward
* Hold your cards to your heart or in both hands and ask for a One Card Reading for your highest and greatest good. I usually ask " What do I need to know right now?" or I may ask a specific question.
* Shuffle the cards. In most cases, a card will fall out or stick out from the deck and that is the one I select. This is just the way that I do it but you can do it anyway that feels right for you. It's all about using your intuition. For example, you may wish to shuffle the cards then fan them out and select your card that way.
* Now that you have chosen a card, look at the card and if there is writing on it, try not to focus on that, but rather see what comes to you. Look at the image on the card. What do you see, feel, hear or just know? Close your eyes if this helps and notice what comes to you. It could be an image, a smell, a thought that pops into your head, or you may just feel you know something. Go with the first thing that you get and don't doubt it, even if it makes no sense to you. Simply write it down in your journal as the message may become clear at a later time.
Oracle Cards are great and once you have practiced giving yourself One Card Readings, you can move onto other card spreads. There are lots of different kinds of spreads, but one of the most common is a 3 Card Spread - This relates to Past (left card), Present (Middle Card) and Future (Right Card). You can ask a specific question or just ask for a General Reading and see what comes up. Remember to always, always, always ground & protect before you begin and to clear the cards afterwards. If you're not cleansing the cards, you won't get an accurate reading. Meditating before you start can help you to connect more effectively and receive more accurate guidance. Remember that any action you take can alter your course so know that you can change anything if you so wish as we all have free will.